|Date Posted||October 2, 2019|
Macys Tech is looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer to ensure the applications are highly available, reliable, secure and scalable for Omni Channel Order Management and Supply Chain Platforms. We manage millions of orders per day from Macys.com, Bloomingdales.com, Mobile Apps, more than 500 stores, and Call Centers. Members of team use cutting edge technologies and data techniques to discover solutions and build knowledge from the ground up, driving results that produce tangible impact and sustainable change.
We are looking for Senior Staff Engineer who has a passion to build new robust software, deploy in cloud and is responsible for providing solutions for wide array of problems in Supply Chain. The role involves building cutting edge solutions using modern technology and frameworks including all relevant components of the Google Cloud Platform. We are looking for someone who has a strong mindset of reliability engineering with a development background and experience transforming legacy applications & systems into next generation cloud native platforms on GCP or Azure. This person will work and collaborate closely with our software engineering, architecture and operations teams on cloud-based application observability and deployment as we begin our journey on building a cloud platform.
The Senior Staff Software Engineer role in Macy’s Technology is a hands-on leader in the design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems. Translate business requirements into well-engineered, tested and deployed application systems that are used by the business and support these systems while in production. Interface with internal customers to determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach to meet business requirements and designs, develops, tests, installs, and deploys the required software applications. Develop solutions utilizing a variety of software technologies, including new code construction, modifications to existing modules, configuration and/or package implementation. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Owns and leads the strategy, and adoption of cloud-based application reliability, resiliency, observability and deployment.
• Lead the development of the strategy and technical design for large projects. Works with Project and Product Management, defines timelines and project plans.
• Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives. Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way. Bring technical and/or business systems knowledge from external sources and incorporates those ideas into IT work.
• Own all operational metrics and reliability engineering along with operations. Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
• Analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs and ensure that expected application performance levels are achieved.
• Commit to overall deliverables with customers and/or management; support evaluation of new technical directions and approaches and make recommendation to senior Macy’s Technology management.
• Lead the coding/configuration, testing, implementation, reviews and documentation of solution, and develop detailed design specifications.
• Establish systems to monitor the operating efficiency of existing application systems and provides (or arranges for) proactive maintenance; lead the resolution of customer inquiries.
• Serve as a coach and mentor to more junior developers including delegate and manage tasks as appropriate; act as a technology mentor to team members. Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization.
• Establish standards & best practices, design guidelines/principles and patterns and demonstrate a broad understanding of the applications and technical architectures.
• Serve as a technical expert on existing applications and other inter- related/adjacent systems and applications.
• Design systems/applications with high level of complexity (e.g. many interfaces, multiple packages, platforms).
• Evaluate the applicability of leading edge technologies and uses this information to significantly influence future business strategies.
• Consistently demonstrate regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering and 10+ years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 10 years of software development lifecycle experience preferred.
• Expert hands-on development experience with Java or Python or Ruby and related technologies and frameworks.
• Experience with Monitoring tools like DynaTrace, Splunk, KeyNote is a strong plus.
• Experience on application Profiling Skills (Core Java, Thread Dumps etc.).
• 10 years of Systems Engineering in 24x7 Production Services environments.
• Experience with scripting/programming languages such as C, Perl, Go or Shell scripting is a strong plus.
• Deep knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases.
• Experience working in Agile and DevOps environment.
• Deep understanding of Cloud Architecture and Operations including: migration, resilience, maintainability, and cost efficiency.
• Understanding of public cloud based distributed software systems.
• Understanding of 12-factor architecture methodology and its benefits to cloud success.
• Knowledge of Google cloud platform and Stackdriver.
• Understanding of Linux Operating System and experience analyzing and diagnosing distributed systems and Linux systems including file systems, protocols and libraries.
• Ability to communicate effectively with Senior Management and key business partners.
• Enjoys working with collaboratively with teams on Operations technical and functional process improvements.
• Highly motivated person with the ability to learn new technologies hands on - Self-taught initiative.
• Enjoys learning new things with the ability to quickly adopt and apply.
• Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
• Ability to perform solid analysis/troubleshooting to determine code and process inefficiencies.
• Ability to consider options and make decisions to improve user functionality.
• Independently identifies, defines, and performs analysis to resolve code issues.
• This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
• Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
• May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
• Deep troubleshooting and scripting skills to improve the availability, performance, and security of services.
• Excellent troubleshooting skills, encompassing software, systems, and network.
• Experience in working on Cloud technologies, preferably cloud native with Google Cloud Platform would be a strong plus.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.