|Date Posted||October 4, 2019|
From smartphone capabilities like Digital Key to connected rooms that allow for integrated entertainment, temperature and lighting controls, Hilton's Global Technology team is building the hospitality experience of the future - for our guests, owners and Team Members. Through innovative technology development and deployment, this team ensures Hilton has the technology needed to support our continued global growth while remaining at the forefront of hospitality technology innovation.
What will I be doing?
Hilton is looking for a Principal Site Reliability Engineer to work alongside our product and development teams to scale our application and infrastructure while ensuring performance and high availability. As the ideal candidate, you will enjoy learning, deploying and scaling new technologies, and be a proponent of automation/infrastructure as code.
As a Principal Site Reliability Engineer you will be expected to create a bridge between development and operations by applying a software engineering mindset to system administration topics. You will split your time between operations/on-call duties and developing systems and software that help increase site reliability and performance.
More specifically, you will:
- Create and maintain application roadmaps.
- Engage with development teams throughout the life cycle to help develop for reliability and scale, ensuring minimal refactoring or changes.
- Design self-healing and resiliency patterns.
- Participate in the 24x7 support coverage as needed.
- Help evolve production infrastructure, strategically employing automation, and infrastructure-as-code.
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems.
- Apply a detailed problem-solving approach coupled with good interpersonal skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Maintain services once live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health.
What are we looking for?
We believe success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Confirmed ability to understand, document, and describe complex technical subjects
- Knowledge of Performance and Site Reliability Engineering, APM Tools, preferably Dynatrace
- Knowledge of related tools in Splunk, Datadog, Amazon EKS, GitLab
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Drives innovation in line with standards and strategy
- Solves complex performance/scaling issues, working with Engineering to ensure we avoid bottlenecks and scale to meet traffic demands through organic growth and marketing events
- Acts as a trainer, mentor, and advisor to colleagues
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Twelve (12) years of professional work experience in web-based technologies
- Six (6) years of software/platform design and implementation experience
- Two (2) years managing individuals or teams in a supervisory role
- Direct experience identifying application patterns and analytics in support of a healthy enterprise web environment
It would be helpful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- Bachelor's Degree OR Associate's Degree plus six (6) years of Technology related experience OR High School Diploma/GED plus twelve (12) years of Technology related experience
- Fourteen (14) years of professional work experience in Technology or related field
- Eight (8) years of software/platform design and implementation experience
- Four (4) years working with cloud applications/technologies
- Four (4) years managing individuals or teams in a supervisory role
- Hospitality or travel industry experience a major plus
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the world's leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities, and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!